Addressing the Diversity Problem

Diversity always appears to be something which is a great barrier in the education systems. Why? I believe it is because too many of the leaders in education design their frameworks and curriculum documents for the ‘average child’. But when we really think about it, there is no ‘average’ child, no two children are exactly the same. We all have different perceptions on life and educational concepts as a result of our life experience. Nobody lives the exact same life, we all have different thoughts in our heads.

Dictionary.com defines diversity as a state of being different, unlike others. Seeing as the diversity of people today is becoming more recognised we need to leave the preconceptions of everyone learning the same way, behind us. The Universal Design for Learning is becoming a widely recognised and praised framework to build planning upon. This is because it takes into account that every one learns differently. A single concept can be learnt more than one way. Keeping this in mind whenever I am designing a unit or lesson or any learning experience for that matter I am getting myself into the habit of asking, what other ways can I teach this, or set this up, or present in a different way which will be more engaging and motivating for the learners?

3 thoughts on “Addressing the Diversity Problem

1. Pingback: Computer and Preschoolers — Life Long Learning

2. Pingback: Addressing the diversity problem | Tiong blog

3. Pingback: my blog - Implications for formal education